It’s that season when dirt and grime manage to find there way into our homes. If you can prevent the dirt from getting on the carpet in the first place, it will help to keep the carpet clean longer. The following helpful hints can stop dirt in its tracks.
*Use Mats: Outdoor and indoor mats or runners can reduce the amount of dirt that enters the house.
*Take off your shoes: You can save wear and tear on carpet by asking everyone to take their shoes off before entering your home.
* Change your air filters: Change air filters in your heating and air-conditioning systems as recommended by the manufacturer’s directions. The more dust and particles removed by the filter, the fewer that fall onto the carpet.
4 Ways to Take Care of your Carpet
- Vacuum to keep it clean: By vacuuming on a regular basis you keep dirt and dust out of the carpet. If dirt and dust is left in the carpet, foot traffic can cause these particles to act like sandpaper rubbing against the carpet fibers. This will decrease the life of your carpet. When you vacuum regularly then it’s only necessary to hire a professional every 12-18 months for the deep cleaning. When you hire a professional you will not run the risk of ruining the color of the carpet or the carpet fibers.
- Keep the carpet dry: Not only do you want your carpets to dry quickly when you have them professionally cleaned, but anytime there is moisture on the carpet it needs to be dried quickly. For all spills, dry them quickly with a towel and even put air flow on them to quicken dry times. Prolonged moisture on the carpets can make colors run, mold to grow, and weaken carpet fibers.
- Keep carpet out of direct sunlight: Just like anything left in the sun, damage can occur. Ultraviolet light will fade your carpet (and upholstery) over prolonged periods of time.
- Spills on the rug need quick attention: Whenever something is spilled on your rug, take quick action to clean up the area. Use a towel to blot up the spill and use just plain water to get out the excess if you don’t have a Chem-Dry Spot Remover on hand. By using various “over-the-counter” products for spills, you run the risk of doing further damage to your carpet. The Spot Remover works fabulously and will not “set” a stain. This makes it possible for Chem-Dry to do specialty spot removing with great success.
By taking these 4 easy steps for care of your carpets, your investment will last a much longer time. When you need a question answered about difficult spills for your South Bend or Elkhart, IN home or business, call Chem-Dry of Michiana anytime.