If that party food lands on your carpets, there are a couple things you should do to help prevent that stain from setting permanently.
- Soak up as much of the spill with a white cloth. Stand on the cloth to exert the most pressure so you can get most of the spill to soak into the towel.
- Most spots that don’t contain dyes will release with a Chem-Dry Spot Remover. Rinse the area with the spot remover. If a spot remover is not available, rinse sparingly with cold water and soak up the moisture.
- Never “rub” a spot as you can do more damage to the carpet fiber. Many “over-the-counter” cleaners will actually “set” a stain making it impossible for a professional to remove the stain. So stick with a Chem-Dry Spot Remover or cold water.
- If the spot does contain red dyes (salsa, ketchup, tea, ect), follow the same procedure with the towel and spot remover. Many times these spots will still be noticeable after rinsing with spot remover because they have “dyed” the carpeting. Even if a Chem-Dry Spot Remover does not totally remove that red stain, it is still possible for a Chem-Dry professional to tackle the stain. We will need to reverse this process with Red Alert that can remove that red dye in the carpet.
- Don’t panic! Chances are good if you follow these steps and call Chem-Dry of Michiana if you have a lingering problem, your carpet can be saved.
4 Ways to Take Care of your Carpet
- Vacuum to keep it clean: By vacuuming on a regular basis you keep dirt and dust out of the carpet. If dirt and dust is left in the carpet, foot traffic can cause these particles to act like sandpaper rubbing against the carpet fibers. This will decrease the life of your carpet. When you vacuum regularly then it’s only necessary to hire a professional every 12-18 months for the deep cleaning. When you hire a professional you will not run the risk of ruining the color of the carpet or the carpet fibers.
- Keep the carpet dry: Not only do you want your carpets to dry quickly when you have them professionally cleaned, but anytime there is moisture on the carpet it needs to be dried quickly. For all spills, dry them quickly with a towel and even put air flow on them to quicken dry times. Prolonged moisture on the carpets can make colors run, mold to grow, and weaken carpet fibers.
- Keep carpet out of direct sunlight: Just like anything left in the sun, damage can occur. Ultraviolet light will fade your carpet (and upholstery) over prolonged periods of time.
- Spills on the rug need quick attention: Whenever something is spilled on your rug, take quick action to clean up the area. Use a towel to blot up the spill and use just plain water to get out the excess if you don’t have a Chem-Dry Spot Remover on hand. By using various “over-the-counter” products for spills, you run the risk of doing further damage to your carpet. The Spot Remover works fabulously and will not “set” a stain. This makes it possible for Chem-Dry to do specialty spot removing with great success.
By taking these 4 easy steps for care of your carpets, your investment will last a much longer time. When you need a question answered about difficult spills for your South Bend or Elkhart, IN home or business, call Chem-Dry of Michiana anytime.